Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Teenage Logic


The Singer occasionally gets an idea into her head and then becomes very stubborn about altering that view in any way. (She's just a little too much like her mom.) But because she is a teenager, her thinking isn't always logical. Today in the car driving home, she began to tell me why her dad was wrong with his support examples in their conversation (debate/argument) last night. Background info: The Singer's swim coach this year is new to being a swim coach. Things are not running smoothly. The team has only 6 meets scheduled. The swimmers were complaining about that. The coach responded with "Well, the system is sexist and against private schools, so that's why I couldn't get more dates at the county meeting to schedule meets. They didn't tell me that coaches can go to the meeting early to prepare to get the best dates." Hubby argued that as a 'newbie' she has no idea if the system is sexist or against private school, but that the situation supported the idea that new coaches are at a distinct disadvantage. He referenced the swim coach of a few years ago. A woman, from a private school, who managed to get a good schedule. The Singer then argued that her previous coach had learned the system, yet she couldn't see how that meant the system wasn't sexist or against private schools. I'm not sure how you can convince her to see things differently when her logic is so off. Actually, as the conversation continued, with raised, frustrated voice on my part, it appears she really doesn't understand the concept of sexism. So now I have a headache from beating my head against the hard wall of her head for the last 45 minutes. And she's walking around mumbling about how her parents just don't listen to her. We listened; you just didn't make any sense! I keep telling my kids, "I'm right, get use to it," but they still don't believe me, even when I've been proven right time after time.

Christopher is the cutest, most entertaining, wonderful little boy. Here he is getting caught eating a cookie. He makes me smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Does this mean you got a digital camera??? Are you getting useD to it?

catholicmom said...

No digital, just got my pictures developed. All are from July and August.