Sunday, September 03, 2006

Just Don't Have Control Over Much

Ernesto (tropical storm, depression and/or hurricane) threatened Tampa last week and had people vigilant. Then, Ernesto waddled through Florida with winds not worth mentioning and rainfall that was hardly noticeable. That was Wednesday. Then Friday we get hit with major rain-squalls dumping about 3 inches of driving rain in a few hours time. It just goes to show, you can plan and you can prepare, but ultimately, you just don't have much control in life, except how you act/react. The weather is actually getting me down. The "normal" summer weather pattern for Tampa is afternoon thunderstorms (sometime between 3 and 6 it turns dark, the heavens open up for about 20 minutes, then the sun comes back out and steam literally rises from the hot streets). Lately we've been having clouds and rain all day. What's up with that? I live in Florida for a reason. If I wanted cloudy and rainy, I'd live in Seattle or London. So, I've had to forego my pool time. On Thursday, it was sunny and beautiful as I got my suit on and was all set to take a dip in the pool. I got my bottle of water, my towel, my book and my goggles. I walk outside and I hear a rumble of thunder and see dark clouds coming in from the west. Foiled again! As I type this, I'm watching the dark clouds roll in again (it's only 11:00 am). I definitely miss my sunshine and pool time. And my disposition is beginning to show the lack of this important activity.

Yesterday, Hubby and I had a great time scraping up linoleum from the kitchen floor. I am so lucky to have him. I just really enjoy spending time with him. And the job seemed easier having him around. Then we went to pick out tile. What a chore! I just want something that looks good in my house. 12 inch or 18 inch? Gloss or matte finish? And on and on. We brought home 5 choices. We quickly eliminated 3 of them, and now have two sitting out trying to figure which one's better. The fact that we're going to have to live with this decision for a long time stresses me out. I don't have trouble picking paint colors. It's pretty easy to repaint a room. Retile? Don't think so. Ugh.

Our kitchen is torn up with half the floor with linoleum and half with the concrete showing. Paper plates and easy dinners are on order this week. Tuna salad, chicken salad, cubans and pizza are all on the menu.

More activities begin this week. The Imp has joined the scrap booking club at her school. They meet after school to work on their scrap books. Her Hip Hop class begins this week, too. I have to go get her a leotard and tights today. She's off to the movies and lunch with her Girl Scout troop. The Singer is off to see the Crucible performed by a local theater group for extra credit for her English course. Her posse is all going. (There's about 5 or 6 girls and 3 or 4 boys who typically do things together as a group. Some of them have dated each other, although the Singer thinks of the guys in her group as brother-types and doesn't understand how her girlfriends can date these guys.) Tomorrow the posse if off to the movies, so the Singer is busy doing homework so she has time to socialize tomorrow. No homework = no leaving the house.

The Singer's life is so different than mine in high school. When I was in high school, the Friday night football games were the social event. Everyone went. Usually we'd watch the first quarter and if it was an exciting game, you kept watching, or we began to cruise the stadium and hang out with people. The Singer has absolutely no interest in attending a football game (and most of her posse is of the same mindset). So she's asked to sing the National Anthem at the game. Silly me asks, "So are you going to stay and watch the game afterward?" "OH NO!" she exclaims. "I'll go to sing but then I'm leaving to go do something fun." As she doesn't have her license yet, that means Hubby and I get to drive her to the game, sit in the car for about 20 minutes, listen to her sing the anthem and then drive her to wherever the posse is meeting. Friday night listening to her sing over the loudspeakers and having the sound carry across the fields and river nearby gave me goose bumps. I get so use to hearing her sing I sometimes don't really hear her, but she sounded really good Friday night. As a tone-deaf person who can't carry a tune in a paper bag, I am amazed at her vocal abilities. She's been given lots of gifts/talents. Guess God has something important for her to do.

No comments: