Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Accelerated Reader

I don't like swim season. The Singer loves it and I'm thrilled for her that she has the opportunity to do something she loves. It's great for her physically, and emotionally. But I still don't like swim season. It seems I never see my Singer. Hubby drives her to school in the morning, she's at school all day, she goes to the library after school to do homework, catches a ride to the pool and then Hubby drives her home, arriving here 12 hours after she left. As most parents know, car-time is precious time with your kids. By the time the Singer gets home, she has already told Hubby all the happenings of the day, and she just wants to eat dinner and then relax or finish her homework. If I start asking about her day, I get the one or two word answers. Come November, I will get a chance to know my daughter better. Sharing the 30+ minute drive home gives us the time to share with each other. It's hard to tell how things are going when I only see her when she's struggling to shake off sleep in the morning, or ready to collapse at night. So I miss her, even though I see her everyday.
I enjoyed my Bible Study yesterday. My group seems to be a good one. I love the fellowship of Bible Study. Because I attend mid-morning in the week, the group isn't very heterogeneous. It's basically stay-at-home moms, older women, and a handful of retired gentlemen (and yes, the men all fit the description of gentlemen). But it's comforting and supportive to share faith with other women. I love hearing the women older than me, share their trials and victories on their faith journey. And while I don't feel old, at 43, I have "young 'uns" (the mom's in their 20's and early 30's) who look to me to share my experiences. I love the continuity represented. I am so thankful for my faith. When I struggle with my issues, I constantly wonder how someone without faith deals with the difficulties of this world. I know that my faith has gotten me through much. Without faith, I don't have a real purpose in my life.
The Imp is struggling to complete her AR (Accelerated Reader) goal for school. I think this program is a wonderful way to monitor and encourage children to read. I fear, however, that the whole concept is going to backfire for the Imp. The Imp is an avid reader, but because of the situation she's in, she has begun complaining about reading. She has a high reading level; therefore her goal requires her to get quite a few points. The problem is not getting her to read, the problem is the limited number of AR tests the school has at her reading level fitting her interests. So she ends up reading books that aren't necessarily ones she would pick in order to be able to take the tests to get the points to reach her goal. Because she does have books she wants to read, she "rewards" herself for a successful AR test by reading one of her own books. The problem is there just isn't enough time. Her goal requires her to read about a book a week. So she is frustrated that she can't read "her stuff" and has begun looking at AR as an academic endeavor. The concept behind AR is to have tests on popular children's literature so students can read what they want. The problem is she has been participating in AR since 4th grade and has taken many tests already. At a small private school, the media center doesn't have the resources to purchase all AR computer tests. Put that together with the fact that she's in 7th grade and the school only goes to 8th grade, the books (and tests) the school has for her level are limited. This quarter has been rough going. Because there were books she really wanted to read, she put off AR. The Imp in now in the position of reading 2 books a week in order to reach her goal. I'm not looking forward to the rest of this quarter or this year. I've had to limit our trips to the public library. A definite hardship for my family.

No comments: