Friday, September 01, 2006

Scraping the Floor

My muscles are sore today (and will continue to be sore for a while) as I'm busy scraping up the old linoleum off my kitchen, and bathroom floors. It's harder than I thought to get that stuff up off the floor. But it'll be worth it to put down tile in two weeks. We're doing the removal of the old stuff (the grunt work) but have hired someone to put the tile down. We've wanted to do this for about 5 or 6 years. Staying home during the day, I notice all the things "wrong" with the house. The flooring (both the linoleum and the carpet) is really yucky. I know that as soon as we lay the tile I am going to want new carpet. I know the new tile is going to make the old carpet look really bad. Maybe in a year or so.

The Singer is experiencing the typical roller coaster ride of emotions so common at 16. The other night, I discovered her on the phone in her room at 10:35 at night. A definite 'no-no' in our house. She, as only a 16-yr-old can, looks at me as if I'm the crazy one for getting upset over her disregard of house rules. From her point of view, she's 16 and is old enough to make such decisions. She was, after all, studying over the phone. A week without phone privileges will probably convince her not to try that one again. So she is all pouty about her punishment. But she's also riding-high because she gets to sing the National Anthem at today's pep assembly at school and at the football game tonight. Let her sing and she's happy.

The Imp is walking around with a big smile...she got her braces off yesterday. She looks so much older. I really don't have little kids anymore. I've got two teen-agers (oh no!)

It's Labor Day Weekend, which means its time for the Jerry Lewis Telethon Sunday/Monday. Jerry Lewis raises money for Muscular Dystrophy. ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) is a form of Muscular Dystrophy. If you're in the giving mood, check out the Sumter Muscular Dystrophy Fund founded by my brother, John. If nothing else, keep all those touched by these diseases in your prayers.

No comments: