Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rain, Rain Go Away

Oh, how I wish the rain would go away. That's difficult for me to say, because it hasn't been that long since we've had draught conditions. And it was from 1998-2002 that we had a draught. But enough is enough. I've drained the pool multiple times this past month. As I sit here writing, the pool is filling to the lip again. Mold and mildew have flourished everywhere. Ugh. Between yesterday afternoon and this morning, about 4 inches of rain has fallen. The ground is saturated so there is no where for the water to go. There's 2 inches of water in our street (our street didn't flood with Hurricane Jeanne!) I just want my typical Florida weather back, so I can complain of the heat and humidity while sitting out at my pool enjoying the sun.

In addition to the really crummy weather we're having, I can't even watch a good football game. The Buccaneers look absolutely terrible! It's painful to watch them play. Then my other team, the Redskins, are doing too well either. I guess things can only get better from here. I don't even mind the Bucs losing (well, I do mind, but...) when it's a good game. But they aren't playing good ball. It is not entertaining and I've had to turn the game off, they're so bad. The rest of my family (the guys, anyway) are into college ball. I've never followed college ball and it just doesn't appeal to me. The great thing about the NFL is that there are so few teams. I can keep track of the whole league. College ball and the whole ranking system is Greek to me.

High school football has gone to national television. A local game was broadcast on ESPN on Friday night. High school football should be local. Way too much emphasis and importance is placed on the game when it's televised nationally. My second year teaching (at one of the schools that played Saturday night) I was told to change the grade of a few football players. These guys had done nothing in my class. I wouldn't change the grades, (although I did offer to make a deal...a certain amount of work and a passing grade. No deals) so my principal did! All so we could win that game. It's depressing to think about it.

I leave today for SC to see my brother John. His 41st birthday is Sunday. We're having a picnic celebration in his back yard on Saturday. My baby brother, Brian (aged 33) and his wonderful wife and 2 little boys are coming in from Charlotte plus my mom and dad. I'm sure John's wife's family (her sister and parents) will be joining us as well. The weather looks wonderful for SC...Basically highs will be in the low 80s and lows in the sixties. Beautiful!

No comments: