Thursday, September 21, 2006

Because It's the Right Thing To Do

"Because it's the right thing to do" is not a phrase used very often anymore. As I drove to SC I listened to a few Christian talk-shows on AM radio and listened to a book on tape (Mister God, It's Me Anna). All that got me thinking about the relative morality of today's society. Few people make decisions based on morality (something is right or it is wrong) but instead list pros and cons for themselves and then make the decision accordingly. I was getting my hair done and told my hair stylist that I was traveling to see my brother. She queried, "Again?" Yea, again. She said that she didn't know many people who would travel as much I did. I replied, "But, it's the right thing to do. It helps my brother and my parents, and it's what families are about." She agreed it was the right thing to do, but still insisted not many people would do it. Sad. I was talking to Hubby about this on the phone and we recalled when we were tempted to make a pretty big decision for our convenience. We were out walking the neighborhood (children don't overhear those conversations) and I said, "But if we do A for the Singer, I won't be able to do B. I've been waiting 5 years to do B. We've worked for it. I'm tired of taking backseat to our kids." (Okay, not my best parental moment). Hubby looked at me and said, "What's our goal for our kids?" "That they know, love and glorify God." (It's our 'rule of life' so to speak). So he says, "Which choice helps us achieve that goal." Okay, I admitted choice A was the right thing to do. [And as God had planned it, I got B, too...just a little later]. In order to do the right thing in difficult situations, you need to know in your heart what your goal in life is. Assuming your goal relates to some higher being and reaching some-sort of heaven in the here-after, right will be whatever helps you achieve that goal.
The Imp didn't want to go to a group meeting last week. I made her go. "Why?" she whined (as only a 12-almost 13-year old can do). "Because it's the right thing to do." It didn't help further any cause for herself, didn't help me. In fact, it inconvenienced us both. But it WAS the right thing to do, so I made her do it. That's what builds character. My girls aren't perfect. But they know there is right and wrong. They know their goal in life is to know, love and glorify God. I don't worry too much about their ultimate future.

No comments: