Friday, September 08, 2006

The 100 m Butterfly

Thank goodness swim season is a short one. The complaints being mumbled, yelled and flung around continually are getting on my nerves. I got it. You don't like your coach. You don't think she's doing a good job. I can't change it. I know nothing about competitive swimming, so I can't take over. The Singer is so frustrated with the swimming situation this year. The numbers on the swim team are down this year. Not a surprise since last year they had two coaches (at different times) not affiliated with the school and a faculty liaison who didn't know swimming, but wanted swimming to continue. With fewer swimmers, there are less people to pick from to fill each event. There are only 3 female swimmers who have the technique not to be DQ'd from the butterfly events. And yes, the Singer is one of them. She hates the butterfly, and while she's not fast, she has impeccable form. She had to swim the 50m fly at Wednesday's meet. She's swimming the 100m fly tomorrow. She is not a happy camper. In addition, she's swimming the final leg of the 400m relay and the 500m free. The 500m is a 20 lap race. She finished last Wednesday with a time of 8 something. It was her first time swimming the 500m and she was happy she'd made her last turn before the second-to-last person finished. Her favorite race (one she finished in 2nd a few times last year behind her teammate who has graduated) is the 200m free. Of course, she's not swimming in that race at all. She was looking forward to having a chance at finishing first. Thankfully this is over in November.
It's amazing how the weather can affect my mood. Yesterday was rainy all day (this is Florida....this can stop now...we have short rainstorms in the afternoon...is anyone listening?). In addition, I had to go to the dentist (I have to have some old silver fillings replaced...ugh) and then take the Imp to the doctor as she had hives all over her legs and torso. I didn't get home until 1 pm. Too late to go crop with my friend. I was so looking forward to cropping, too. Fortunately, the Imp isn't too sick. Antihistamines and time is the treatment. If they don't get better by tomorrow, I've got a prescription for a 3-day regiment of a steroid.
Today, I'm off to see the Imp get inducted to the National Junior Honor Society. Then I get to finish scrapping up linoleum. After school, I take the girls to their weekly job of straightening the church (seats 900 people). Fit dinner in and then we're off to the Deacon's Retreat where the girls will provide the music for evening prayers.
Someone asked if I got my digital camera with the posting of pictures yesterday. Nope, just picked up my last roll from developing and I scanned them in. My cell phone can take pictures, but I'm not happy with the quality and don't want to pay the extra fee to download them to my computer since the quality is poor. Hubby tried to take a picture of the Singer swimming. Well, he took the picture, but didn't know he had to hit the "save" button. So he comes in Wednesday evening, "Look at this pic I got of her swimming." He couldn't find it in his files. The Imp says, "Did you save it?" His reply, "I have to save it? It’s not automatic?" Maybe next time.

No comments: